Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A Day in the Life: Daph's Daily Intake

Unlike Ocean, I only eat twice a day. So boring, I know, but it works for me and my pocket book.

Breakfast starts by boiling water, adding fresh squeezed lemon juice to make a hot beverage. I usually drink two or three cups over two hours. Next is an apple, cored and carefully sliced into eighths, followed by an orange or grapefruit, if I have any, which depends upon price and availability. I wait for half an hour then indulge in 12 - 15 pre-soaked and de-skinned almonds. Around 11 am I use a blender to whip up a concoction consisting of 1/3 cup steel cut oats, two dried dates, four raw cashews and a sprinkle of quinoa that have been soaked in water overnight. The quinoa have sprouted, resulting in increased food value. I process this assortment of organic grains, after adding a little more water, till it is the consistency of paste. Sounds terrible but tastes great! Really.

I brew up a pot of Chinese tea to sip on during the day, adding hot water as the tea cools.

Dinner always begins by digging into a mixed greens salad tossed with my own dressing, topped with sunflower or sesame seeds, a few mung bean sprouts and sprinkled with nutritional yeast. Entrees consist of raw dips, served with uncooked vegetables and flax/garlic/ginger crackers. This early evening meal varies somewhat, depending on sale items in the produce section, my finances and my fancies.

I do treat myself, occasionally, to avocado, sun-dried tomato, baby bok choy, pears or fresh dates.

If I snack at night, my preference is fruit.

That's it!

No comments: