Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Kiltie Update Umpteen

Further to this, euthanasia will not be necessary even if the good people at Lake Cowichan Animal Rescue (LCAR), Lori and others working to help are unable to find Kiltie a home by June 24th.

Lori, who is a board member, tells me that the LCAR has a no-euthanasia policy. Unless the cat's health warrants it, euthanasia is never considered. Therefore, Kiltie should have as long a life as her little body allows.

Within an hour of arriving home last evening, Kiltie had eaten, re-christened her litter box, checked out her favourite haunts, had some serious cuddles with her original human, and consumed at least one ounce of water. Given Kiltie's size that amount of water is fantastic - the average human, at 150 lbs, is 50 times her weight. Imagine drinking 50 ounces of water in one sitting!

Kiltie had a good night, although she kept trying to get closer to her human. Said human, meanwhile, kept trying to find positions less painful (don't know why I bother) thus disturbing traumatized Kiltie unfortunately.

Kiltie tried to get me up at 3am. No dice. I was too much in pain and too damn COLD, this 14th day of JUNE, 2011 - seven days from the summer solstice.

(When the heck are we going to get SPRING?)

Kiltie - Find the Cat

Anyway, I think Kiltie may be on the mend. She had another decent visit to her water bowl this morning (and since) and ate a full breakfast - I cut down the amount somewhat for fear of her overdoing it. Now Kiltie is in her favourite spot for undisturbed sleep.


Daphne Moldowin said...

Sounds like the kitty in question (Kiltie) was missing her main Human too much. I fear she may regress if shunted to another location. Alas, What does one do in a situation like this?????

Chrystal Ocean said...

One's heart breaks.

Kiltie has just left for the second, and last, time. Marg was very nice and says she will write to let me know how Kiltie is doing. She'll get her vet-checked again too, and ask about that salivary gland cyst. Kiltie's had that since she was a kitten and I was advised not to be concerned about it unless it ruptured. I suspect it ruptured at Lori's place, only because Kiltie didn't salivate as much as normal, due to terror. (Hell, I don't salivate much when terrified either!) Ergo, it's likely Kiltie would be best off if that gland were removed. Had she stayed with me, I'd have somehow found the money and, subject to the advice of the vet, arranged that.

This separation was much harder for the Kiltie's human than previously. Then, I thought Kiltie was going directly to a good home. A good home it was, but Kiltie couldn't adapt to the dogs. Therefore, for 48 hours I had her again, to nurse back to health. She'd just regained a sense of safety and trust and she had to leave again.

For me, I'd begun the painful adjustment and was still not doing well. With this second separation, am feeling terrible.

Chrystal Ocean said...

A couple of hours after Marg left with Kiltie, she sent this encouraging progress report:

"Kiltie came out of her carrier on her own, a good sign. She permitted a bit of petting & now she's sleeping under her pink blanket, she is not too stressed. And she ate her supper with the St. John's Wort before her nap. So far so good!"

Kiltie may have come round to the philosophy: if it's no dogs (or kids), then it can't be all that bad.